Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Samoa - friendliest place on earth

I can now say I’ve been in Tahiti.  Well, that’s not totally accurate.  The plane I was riding in stopped to refuel in Tahiti but we couldn’t disembark.  Let me just say, the views from the plane made Tahiti look pretty spectacular – volcanic mountains surrounded by shallow turquoise waters.  I’ll be back and this time I’m getting off.
David has now been laid twice, or should I say he’s had two leis from lovely native women placed around his neck, while on the trip.  I’ve asked him if he could manage to greet me at least once a week with a fresh flower lei when I walk in from work.  I can’t really tell you his response but suffice it to say I’m going to have to teach the cats a new trick if I expect a flower necklace when I walk in the door.
Samoa is a lush tropical island with the friendliest people on earth.  As we drove to Robert Louis Stevenson’s home we got a real flavor of the island.  All the natives happily waved as our little bus drove by their brightly painted homes with community gathering areas in the front.  These areas are open air roofed structures with cement floors.  Oh, and did I mention they bury their dead in the front yard?  Yep, almost every yard has a raised crypt like structure right in the middle of the yard where their dearly departed are laid to rest.  I guess that’s one way to keep an eye on the family once you’re gone.
Robert Louis Stevenson of Treasure Island fame spent his final years living on Samoa.  His home has been turned into a lovely little tour and gift buying opportunity for tourists.  The grounds are splendid with native plants surrounding the property.  Upon arrival, we were entertained by a group of school girls wanting to thank us for our donation to their school (the tour company makes a donation at each of our stops to local charities) by singing a couple of songs for us.  Next we had a Kava ceremony which is a way to mark special occasions.  Natives in the local garb (a cloth wrap called a lava) recite the sacred words while dipping a bundle of dried plant stems in dirty looking water, squeezing it out, tossing it behind their back, then they offer you a drink.  I think my one bout with an upset stomach  is enough for one trip!
Aggie Grey’s Lagoon is exactly what you’d expect to find in this tropical paradise.  Fresh flowers were scattered throughout our room.  Our balcony overlooks the ocean complete with fishermen in boats heading home from a day’s work.  A slight upgrade from our last stop.  One thing I didn't expect was the humidity.  One step outside the room meant a 15 minute wait for the fog to clear from the camera lense.  Houston, take that!
Another buffet dinner was followed by another exhibition of native dance and also a demonstration of fire dancing, which I think would be a delightful addtion to Dancing with the Stars.  My vote still goes for the hard bodies on Easter Island.  The bugs came out and we went in.
While Easter Island used the standard rooster for alarm clocks, our resort on Samoa employed skinny little cats that would stand outside your door meowing at the top of their lungs to get your attention.  They did allow us our first full nights sleep in several days.  The breakfast buffet offered one very unusual addition - spagheti with tomato sauce.  Oh, and the sauges had a slightly Vienna Sausage feel.  Fresh cooked eggs offered a more 'normal' alternative.

Before departing the island, we visited a Women's Committee meeting.  Think quilting bee except they weave mats for their floors and sleeping and you've got the picture.  It was clear the Samoan women, while maybe not officially in charge are a feisty group that manage to get their way.  There was singing and dancing and a makeshift market where several in our group bought silkscreen cloths for gifts back home.
Next stop, Australia.


No comments:

Post a Comment